Foreign Body Reaction to Biomaterials (2007). Link.
- Inflammatory response following material implantation
- Consequences of foreign body giant cell formation:
- Mediators of degradation
- Device failure
Failure of silicone gel breast implants: Is the mechanical weakening due to shell swelling a significant cause of prostheses rupture? (2011). Link.
- Mechanical properties of silicone gel breast implants decay during implantation.
- Mechanical decay is mainly due to shell swelling phenomenon.
- Ruptured implants show significant lower strength and stiffness than intact ones.
- Shell decay is a major mechanism for silicone gel breast implant failure.
Aging of retrieved gel breast implants: A comparison between two product generations (2015). Link.
- The goal of the present study is to compare the mechanical ageing of two breast implant generations and assess if the use of one generation rather than the other is advantageous in terms of durability. For that purpose, 21 explanted BI were analyzed in terms of biomechanical characteristics and compared. Twelve BI were textured anatomic specimens of 5th generation and 10 BI were round textured specimens of 4th generation. All the specimens were produced by the same manufacturer. Implantation time ranged from 3 to 130 months. Both the shell and the gel of every specimen were analyzed.
- Results show that the mechanical properties go down with the implantation time for all the implants. Moreover, the shell of round implants appear to be less resistant than the shell of anatomic specimens with 25% lower rupture forces.
- With regard to the gel, whatever the specimen, results show that the properties change with implantation time. ***The color changes from transparent to milky to finally become yellow, while the cohesion goes down especially for the round specimens.***
Polydimethylsiloxanes Toxicity. Link.
Technology and composition of silicone breast implants. Link.
Degradability of Polymers for Implantable Biomedical Devices (2009). Link.
Silicone Degradation Reactions (1996). Link.
- Composition of gel bleed.
Hydrolysis of Silicone Polymers in Aqueous Systems. Link.
We detennined for the first time that methyl silicones undergo hydrolysis in dilute acids, bases and human blood plasma – without mineral or biological mediation.
Polymer Biomaterials. Link.
- Topics: Diffusion of Polymers, Solubility Estimation, Diffusivity, Leaching (undesirable), In Vivo Degradation of Polymer, Hydrolytic Degradation, Oxidation Degradation, Enzymatic Degradation
Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine (2013). Link.
- Chapter 11.4.2 Chemical and biochemical degradation of polymers
- Polymer degradation process
- Post-implant degradation process
- Direct oxidation by host
- Oxidative degradation induced by external environment
PIP Implant Ingredient Analyses:
- Analytical investigations on elastomeric shells of new Poly Implant Prothèse (PIP) breast and from sixteen cases of surgical explantation (2014). Link.
- PIP implant analyses from the gov.uk Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA):
- Research and Analyses (10 Docs)
- Toxicology Testing
- Analysis of Organic Extracts
- Results of the UK PIP Testing
- Chemical analysis: comparative analysis of silicone implant samples
- Analyses showed no significant differences between the PIP samples and the medical grade materials, except for significantly higher levels of extractable siloxanes and lower levels of platinum in the PIP implants.
- Chemical analysis summary
Leave A Comment